Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Welcome to DBS...........Weston's VeeDub Club

Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)

Go down 
+10
Big Blue Betty
dubberatlast
Impy Mcdub
ARCANE
delboy
Mr Scoops
nomates
big dave
purple73
Dirty Dave
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) Empty
PostSubject: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Hello again, just thought i'd update on the progress of the lil bug. Unfortunately shes still not running Crying or Very sad As previously mentioned it is the 1st engine i have ever built so was bound to have something wrong!!!

I had to work today so couldn't work on the bug but had enough time to swap the carb over for another that i had in the garage. Unfortunately carb tuning is a little bit beyond my talents so will have to wait for my dad (the mechanic) to tune it up (hopefully by next weekend)
If this carb turns out to be knackered then am considering fitting a 34/36 progressive or maybe twins?? trouble is i like the look and sound of the single carb!! (altho cant really hear it over the sorst!!)

I have posted some pics of the car as it sits at the mo

Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) Image0102

Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) Image0231

Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) Image0021
Back to top Go down
Dirty Dave
Will Weld For Food
Dirty Dave

Male Number of posts : 2306
My Ride(s) : These days, I walk!
Registration date : 2006-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 9:05 pm

Top work fella. That engine looks great, super clean. Love the paint too. Cool
You must be well chuffed with it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 9:33 pm

That colour is ace.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 10:01 pm

Thanks Guys yeah proper happy with the car. The Colour is a new vw colour "Pearlescent laser blue". Sprayed the car in my garage in the summer last year with my dad. The engine took me bloody ages to clean up, tried to keep as many original VW engine parts as poss so spent hours with the wire wool!!
Sprayed the engine Tinware with 3 coats of UHT White and a good coat of engine laquer and was well chuffed with the finish!! Just need it to run now!! lol!
Back to top Go down
purple73
DBS Pervert
DBS Pervert
purple73

Female Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2007-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 1:00 pm

It looks fab!!! WEll done to you!!

keep pics coming!!! Bet you cant wait to get it on the road!?!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 2:09 pm

Hell yeah!!! Desperately trying to get it goin and on the road by march!!! Still have to spend a small fortune on bits and bobs but taken on some extra work so hopefully next months pay should seal the deal!!! Bloody wheels are takin me ages to clean up tho!!! Mad
Installing final bits of the Sound system today and tommorrow so that should be nice will post pics once its in and thumpin!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 4:13 pm

Finally she is up and running!!!!! Took her on a test around the block yesterday for the first time.

As my first outing in a Aircooled VW dint really know what to expect but was lookin forward to it.
Having never driven the ole girl before this was somewhat a milestone for me.

Unfortunately shes not running right at the moment, im told it just needs the carb setting up and timing adjusted but still brought a HUGE smile to my face!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I was absolutely amazed by the amount of people who stopped to look at her, kinda makes all the long hours in the garage worthwhile!!. Shocked Very Happy

I Have some more pics of the lil bug here hopefully she will pass MOT in 2 weeks and then hopefully be ready for CTTP. (still working on the wheels tho!!!)

Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) Image319

Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) Image312

Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) Image317

Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) Image314
Back to top Go down
big dave
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
big dave

Male Number of posts : 1744
My Ride(s) : 72 type 1 for sale, 67 Ragtop,
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Fair play!! She looks good.. Luv the centre line rims!!
Back to top Go down
nomates
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
nomates

Male Number of posts : 18609
My Ride(s) : 1967 fridolin and 1966 (award winning-and yea i am being gay) ghia and 1960 bubble car
Registration date : 2006-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 6:57 pm

Top work ....it looks fantastic ....fairplay indeed Cool
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

Male Number of posts : 38010
My Ride(s) : 1991 Vanagon GL Westfalia 2.1: 2011 A3 S-Line

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 9:07 pm

A good job, what bumpers you going to run??
Back to top Go down
http://www.cttp.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 10:11 pm

Not really sure fella, still havent decieded was thinking of putting the standard Europa style bumpers on or maybe towel rails?? What d'u think would look best?? scratch scratch

A few people have mentioned Nerf Bars/T-Bars but i quite like the look of the chrome bumpers??
Back to top Go down
nomates
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
nomates

My Ride(s) : 1967 fridolin and 1966 (award winning-and yea i am being gay) ghia and 1960 bubble car

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 10:14 pm

I don't think blades would look right
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 10:15 pm

IMHO I would put some good quality Europas on there.
I think towel rails would look odd and they are the wrong shape for t-bars or nerf bars.
Back to top Go down
big dave
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
big dave

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 10:43 pm

Mr Scoops wrote:
IMHO I would put some good quality Europas on there.
I think towel rails would look odd and they are the wrong shape for t-bars or nerf bars.

I agree Europas are the best bet would lokk cool with colour coded irons and centre strip Laughing
Back to top Go down
delboy
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
delboy

Male Number of posts : 1435
My Ride(s) : 2005 T5 Transporter, 67 very original ozzy bug running a 1914 lump..
Registration date : 2007-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 8:01 pm

great looking bug you got there dude, definatly run with a good quality set of Europa bumpers, they will set it off a treat!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kerbsidekustoms.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 9:21 pm

Yeah started looking at some bumpers today, bin shown some Brazilian and Best chrome ones, huge difference in the price tho!!!!! but dint really look any different asthetically. Suspect

Think im gonna go for the standard Europa Style bumpers with Black irons, and black trim strip.

Any ideas on the best place to get them from, i've viewed them at GSF in bristol but presumably they will be the same quality and price wherever i buy them? Question Question

Best chrome or Brazilian chrome?? She will hopefully not be seeing to much wet weather, which as im told i very unforgiving to brazilian chrome?? Question
Back to top Go down
big dave
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
big dave

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 9:25 pm

Brazilian chrome was always pretty bad not sure if it's got anybetter.

Try Euro carp parts at patchway!!
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 9:32 pm

Do not get the Brazilian type fella. They are shit!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
big dave
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
big dave

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 9:37 pm

Mr Scoops wrote:
Do not get the Brazilian type fella. They are shit!!!!!!

Is it still a case of wrap your old ones in tin foil they'll stay shiney for longer lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 9:43 pm

Seems to be the general opinion on Brazilian Chrome, think im gonna have to dig deeper for some OE Quality Specimens!! Very Happy

Will ring around a few places tommorrow to get some prices best i've seen so far is £99 each at GSF.

Thanks for the Heads up about Euro car parts dude will try them too. Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) Thumbs
Back to top Go down
nomates
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
nomates

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 9:49 pm

dude ...just take your time and get decent ones ,.....you will end up buying good ones in the end when the cheapo ones turn brown Shocked
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 9:51 pm

I bought the OE quality ones for my 71, and even they spotted with surface rust after being parked out in the rain for a few weeks but I was told to give them a good polish and it would disappear and not come back.
Why not see if you can source some stainless ones?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 9:56 pm

Yeah will ring around over the next few days see what i can find, any ideas where to look for stainless ones??, Defo gonna av too splash the cash on on the Bumpers i cant be avin brown bumpers on my bug, would clash to much with the paint!!! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
nomates
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
nomates

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 10:01 pm

paint the cheap ones to match the body ?
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 10:09 pm

That could look cool.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)   Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby) Empty

Back to top Go down

Bugsie Update (formerly Ruby)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next