Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Welcome to DBS...........Weston's VeeDub Club

71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)

Go down 
+32
ServetaPaul
vwroadster
itsabuglife
Bmtt4
Jam Man
thecrewkid
ANDYLHAM
WizBizMartin
vietnam
type25 dan
dubberatlast
Road Rage
big dave
delboy
Shorty
Gungemyster
vwbeetlebum
Impy Mcdub
Wurz
uselescrapytwit
ARCANE
tango_van
SimonABT
blueridge
griff
HRD
Big_Al
clockwork
Shamrockez
joker 67
nomates
Mr Scoops
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

Male Number of posts : 38010
My Ride(s) : 1991 Vanagon GL Westfalia 2.1: 2011 A3 S-Line
Registration date : 2006-08-19

71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 12:12 pm

So I've spoken to T2D and what appears to be the adaptor/spacer bolted to the discs in the pics is a stock 944 hub.
They are going to be fitting these wheels to a Bay with the same brake set next week and have said they'll let me know exactly what's needed.
I may have to ship 2 x wheels back to JGE to get the centre bore opened up but I'm going to see if simply using a spacer might work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cttp.co.uk
nomates
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
nomates

Male Number of posts : 18609
My Ride(s) : 1967 fridolin and 1966 (award winning-and yea i am being gay) ghia and 1960 bubble car
Registration date : 2006-11-19

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 2:07 pm

how will a spacer make the hole in the wheel bigger? .....or are you changing the adaptors too?
Back to top Go down
delboy
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
delboy

Male Number of posts : 1435
My Ride(s) : 2005 T5 Transporter, 67 very original ozzy bug running a 1914 lump..
Registration date : 2007-05-07

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 8:34 pm

CSP disk kit....
All the stopping power, non of the wheel grief ;-)
had a similer issue on my bug, so got rid of the porker kit and went csp with a 924 master cylinder
Back to top Go down
http://www.kerbsidekustoms.co.uk
uselescrapytwit
Blitzen Regular
Blitzen Regular
uselescrapytwit

Male Number of posts : 408
My Ride(s) : Buggy 72 BLOWN
Registration date : 2009-11-26

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 9:09 pm

If i can thro my two peneth worth in.

These caps should not move when wheels are added. The bearing carrier should be set on the bearing. the dammage should be from prior to fitting the new wheels unless you are telling me the caps were never fitted to the bearing carrier correctly the carrier is relieved to aid setting the wheel and the lip of the cap should be this size and not touch the wheel

I have had to clearence wheels b4 to fit nicely over the disk/drum? bearing carrier lip (What the dust cap bashes into) and also i found the wheel to not fit nice up to the stud mounting plate because the wheel has not been relieved on the inner edge and the disk/ drum is not straight cut making an incompatable fit no mates engineering will know what i mean i am sure.
I would suggest the wheel is not right for the hub but a little tweeking will sort that out.

Dont look at the carrier for the caliper unless the caliper is hitting the inside of the wheel.

For crist sake just cut the end off the stub axel and then grind down the locking clamp by a bit as well a vice and a angle grinder is what will fix it no fancy lathes and all that poncing about just clearence the van and the bloody wheels will fit or buy wheels that fit first time around.
See why i hate others doing stuff to my car and i never listen to the so say expurts because thay are ex (something that has been) and a spurt is a drip under pressure. But they are keen enough to take your hard earned for there skills

call that a problem lol Thats why you should run it standard just like my vw lol
i will give you a tenner for it all the van kit that is. especialy as clockwork dont want my cash lol

I cant see what the dust cap would do to the fit. trial fit the wheel without the cap if all is ok junk the cap but make sure the wheel has a centre cap in and buy a electronic speedo lol mind you with that mota your building you wont want a speedo the lowest legal limit in this country is 20 mph you know lol lol lol

no offence meant to any one honest
Back to top Go down
uselescrapytwit
Blitzen Regular
Blitzen Regular
uselescrapytwit

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 9:13 pm

FFS

how many posts whilst i was typing that
Back to top Go down
clockwork
DBS Top Sphincter
DBS Top Sphincter
clockwork

Male Number of posts : 7198
My Ride(s) : Rollercoaster
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 9:57 pm

uselescrapytwit wrote:

These caps should not move when wheels are added. The bearing carrier should be set on the bearing. the dammage should be from prior to fitting the new wheels unless you are telling me the caps were never fitted to the bearing carrier correctly the carrier is relieved to aid setting the wheel and the lip of the cap should be this size and not touch the wheel

I have had to clearence wheels b4 to fit nicely over the disk/drum? bearing carrier lip (What the dust cap bashes into) and also i found the wheel to not fit nice up to the stud mounting plate because the wheel has not been relieved on the inner edge and the disk/ drum is not straight cut making an incompatable fit no mates engineering will know what i mean i am sure.
I would suggest the wheel is not right for the hub but a little tweeking will sort that out.

Dont look at the carrier for the caliper unless the caliper is hitting the inside of the wheel.

For crist sake just cut the end off the stub axel and then grind down the locking clamp by a bit as well a vice and a angle grinder is what will fix it no fancy lathes and all that poncing about just clearence the van and the bloody wheels will fit or buy wheels that fit first time around.
See why i hate others doing stuff to my car and i never listen to the so say expurts because thay are ex (something that has been) and a spurt is a drip under pressure. But they are keen enough to take your hard earned for there skills

call that a problem lol Thats why you should run it standard just like my vw lol
i will give you a tenner for it all the van kit that is. especialy as clockwork dont want my cash lol

I cant see what the dust cap would do to the fit. trial fit the wheel without the cap if all is ok junk the cap but make sure the wheel has a centre cap in and buy a electronic speedo lol mind you with that mota your building you wont want a speedo the lowest legal limit in this country is 20 mph you know lol lol lol

That's not 2 peneth...more like three pound 76! Laughing
Back to top Go down
big dave
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
big dave

Male Number of posts : 1744
My Ride(s) : 72 type 1 for sale, 67 Ragtop,
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 10:05 pm

Those marks on the inside of the caps look like they are from the split pins for the castlated nuts....

looks like there's loads of material that could be shaved off those caliper carriers, work out how much and bang the grinder on it, then slap in some longer studs
Back to top Go down
uselescrapytwit
Blitzen Regular
Blitzen Regular
uselescrapytwit

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 10:25 pm

clockwork wrote:
uselescrapytwit wrote:

That's not 2 peneth...more like three pound 76! Laughing

i like the 76 bit and orange too he he go on give me the fasty..
been looking for one but i am too tight and always miss them i fancy showing you what i meant by the mods i sugested
Back to top Go down
clockwork
DBS Top Sphincter
DBS Top Sphincter
clockwork

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 11:19 pm

Everything is for sale Austin, but 10 quid don't cut it for me kid Wink

Would be good to see your ideas in action though, sure one will turn up Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 1:17 pm

Right, update time.
I spoke to a really helpful fella from EarlyBay.com last night who has had the same issue and has bought Wilwood calipers and made a new adaptor plate to mount them on.
Jon at JAVA is going to bore out the centre for me if I ship the wheels back to him.
So, tonight when I get home I have got to put a straight edge on the hub between the studs and turn if to see if it clears the caliper if if it clashes.
I then need to see what the difference is between the back if the wheel and raised centre that sits on the hub.
I've ordered a new set of nuts for the front and bolts for the wheels as I need tapered not spherical.
T2D are going to be doing this very job themselves tomorrow so I'll be calling them up on my way home to see if any work arounds were required.
I definately don't want to be adding to the track though.
I'm following a few trains of thought here so somewhere along the line (& hopefully sooner rather than later) it'll come good, and preferably in time to get to Sandown Park.
Back to top Go down
clockwork
DBS Top Sphincter
DBS Top Sphincter
clockwork

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 1:35 pm

you don't half pick 'em scoopsy!

Glad you are seeing the wood from the trees though, hope you're all set for sandown Wink
Back to top Go down
Road Rage
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
Road Rage

Male Number of posts : 4830
My Ride(s) : 1972 Bay; Shitroen C4
Registration date : 2008-04-28

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 2:15 pm

what a ball ache
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 2:34 pm

baja 69 wrote:
what a ball ache

You're not wrong!

But it'll be worth it once they're bolted on.... I hope! lol!
Back to top Go down
Road Rage
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
Road Rage

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 2:49 pm

i thought you fitted them on before the tyres were fitted? didnt you notice then?
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 2:55 pm

No, they were just 'placed' on.....
Back to top Go down
Road Rage
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
Road Rage

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 3:24 pm

i have the solution....

fit stock hubs and brakes back on and then fit these...

https://blitzen.editboard.com/t12979-this-made-me-laugh

problem solved!
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Hmmm, to go stock I need a new front beam ( I've got a narrowed splittie beam fitted), all new brakes and then adaptors for the Cosmics!!!!
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 10:23 pm

So, I got home from work tonight, and before shooting out to the mid-monther I had a little play.
I had a look to see just how much of a clash I think there's going to be.
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 267ed0d3

I made this up;-
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 441d5d3c

And then took these to see how far forward the caliper is;-
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 1535c894

71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 0f356bbc

I think it's going to clear now I've looked at it like this as the back of the wheel isn't flat
71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 B03d48b2

Another chat with Jon at Java and Paul at T2D tomorrow. I'm not going to shell out out on a CSP kit, or change over to Wilwoods if I don't have to.

Back to top Go down
griff
DBS Top Sphincter
DBS Top Sphincter
griff

Male Number of posts : 5280
My Ride(s) : the fourking T25 van
Registration date : 2007-04-01

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 10:29 pm

it needs some 15mm copper pipe over each stud, jobs a good un clown
Back to top Go down
http://www.c1der.co.uk/cider_with_roger.htm
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 10:34 pm

If necessary I can't see why a little tickle with the grinder on the edge of those calipers wouldn't hurt.
Back to top Go down
Gungemyster
a.k.a. Clunge, The Club Deviant
Gungemyster

Male Number of posts : 12659
My Ride(s) : 1975 south african imported beetle two tone grey, 1997 Red T4 shag palace
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 11:31 pm

Mr Scoops wrote:

71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 441d5d3c

I dont think it will run very well with cardboard!! lol
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 11:33 pm

Cant be any bloody worse!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Gungemyster
Gungemyster

Male Number of posts : 12659
My Ride(s) : 1975 south african imported beetle two tone grey, 1997 Red T4 shag palace
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 11:43 pm

Mr Scoops wrote:
Cant be any bloody worse!!! lol!

You obviously haven't tried ladies under crackers!!
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 6:12 pm

Woop woop!!!
T2D have literally just fitted up their 944'ed Bay with bored out Cosmics and they fit.
So, tomorrow afternoon I can get the tyres popped off and ship them back to JGE who will open up the centre bore of the wheels for me.
Also going to visit Maplin to get some cable, some sheathing and some heat shrink tabs too so I can mock up the loom for the gauges.
Looks like Sandown is back on again.
Yip Yip!!
Back to top Go down
tango_van
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
tango_van

Male Number of posts : 2846
My Ride(s) : 1972 Westy Camper Van, 09 Newbie 1.9tdi, Audi A4 B7 S-line
Registration date : 2006-10-11

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 6:25 pm

Good stuff!!

Do the loom while the bus is high and dry!! As it is going to go loooooowwwww!!

All ya gotta do then is sort out your horsepower after Sandown Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)   71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry) - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

71 Early Bay (formerly known as Superdry)
Page 5 of 25Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 25  Next