Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Welcome to DBS...........Weston's VeeDub Club

My bug\'s progress

Go down 
+3
Big Blue Betty
spennyp
nomates
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: My bug's progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 4:48 pm

Well, new to the site and v dub thing, i thought i'd start this "progress" thread. Now you'll probabley recognise the car as it use to belong to my brother oli, who attened some meets with his mate dion.

Now, my brother bought the beetle completely stock, and with it only having 2 owners, him being the 3rd.

Now it the life of my bro owning the car, he added front drop spindles so the front is down 2.5 inches, a chrome zoom tube, dixie air horns, a custom parcel shelf built buy my dad and deck lid stand-offs.

He also got the engine brightened up abit with the addition of a blue dizzy cap, blue leads (cheap pvc ones), and some of the tin ware powder coated black.

And that was that.

The car was then sat on the drive for a while as he is at college in truro and thus can't afford to run it, plus needs money to fund his course. So i opted to sell my saxo vts and buy the beetle, project casr are more fun afro

And this is how the car stands today -

My bug\'s progress DSCN7007

My bug\'s progress DSCN7004-1

My bug\'s progress DSCN7003

My bug\'s progress DSCN7017

Now, bar the little bit of bodywork tidying up, there's not a great deal that needs going really, though i plan to slowly go over the car and get it back into shape, as when up close there's a few little things that need sorting out, i.e. window rubbers and trim, rear external vents, the rubber matting inside is crumbling away and the engine could do with a tidy up as well.

I've started on the engine, and i have every bit of tin ware out, the inlet manifold and ends are out, dynamo stand, oil filler etc etc.
The dynamo is off being re-furbed as it wasn't doing it's job affraid
I'm also going to be servicing the car as it's not had one of them for a fair old time, as the oil more resembles treacle lol!

Now, for the service i have, new oil, condenser, points, rotor arm, silicone leads, dizzy cap and plugs, i've also ordered a scat sanata pulley wheel, a set of j-tubes and an empi single glass pack exhaust, and all tinware is off to be powder coated black, and all alloy parts are being powder coated silver, with a few touches of chrome being thrown in, oil cap, dipstick and coil clamp.

I will get some more pics up asap and then again after the service and overhaul, and then continuely as i change things.

Cheers

Last edited by james_bug71 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nomates
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
nomates

Male Number of posts : 18609
My Ride(s) : 1967 fridolin and 1966 (award winning-and yea i am being gay) ghia and 1960 bubble car
Registration date : 2006-11-19

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 5:09 pm

I've had a quick look at this one ,at the last cruise to the prom (07)...

Its a real cool looking nice late model .....if you sold a saxo to buy this

well done .....you have seen the light afro
Back to top Go down
spennyp
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer

Male Number of posts : 3184
Registration date : 2006-08-19

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 5:10 pm

its a sweet car for sure.....it needs slamming Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
nomates
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
nomates

My Ride(s) : 1967 fridolin and 1966 (award winning-and yea i am being gay) ghia and 1960 bubble car

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 5:13 pm

I vote keep it stock height ........and loose the stand offs

but dude ,its your car .....do what you want .....that's what it all about afro
Back to top Go down
Big Blue Betty
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
Big Blue Betty

Female Number of posts : 2686
My Ride(s) : 71 Bay Camper Betty, 69 Bug Minty, 57 Ragtop Oval Bery. 67 Split Hugo! 83 MK1 Golf Cabriolet Star!
Registration date : 2007-05-06

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 5:14 pm

Very nice,
I do agree with Spenny slam the hell out of it muhahahahaha
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

Male Number of posts : 38010
My Ride(s) : 1991 Vanagon GL Westfalia 2.1: 2011 A3 S-Line

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 5:14 pm

......and some nice rims.........get it on it's arse Jim-Bob!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cttp.co.uk

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 5:19 pm

Cheers people.

Few plans that are happening now have been added, and as far as the overall plan goes, i'm thinking of keeping the rake by keeping the front on low pro skinnies and slapping some fat hoe's on the back.

Then a few little touches here and there, like 1200 rear lights and chrome T-bars etc.

Wheels are my big problem, can't decide between BRM 4 spokes or ATS classics.

Last edited by james_bug71 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nomates
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
nomates

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 5:20 pm

Shocked .....I'm turning into olly Embarassed

Slam it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 5:27 pm

ATS Classics fella, BRM 4 spokes are just WRONG!!!!! (IMHO)

Last edited by Mr Scoops on Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wurz
DBS Top Sphincter
DBS Top Sphincter
Wurz

Male Number of posts : 5378
My Ride(s) : T5, Bay, 2 Bugs & Buggy Project
Registration date : 2008-03-15

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 5:34 pm

james_bug71 wrote:
Cheers people.

Few plans that are happening now have been added, and as far as the overall plan goes, i'm thinking of keeping the rake by keeping the front on low pro skinnies and slapping some fat hoe's on the back.

Then a few little touches here and there, like 1200 rear lights and chrome T-bars etc.

Wheels are my big problem, can't decide between BRM 4 spokes or ATS classics.

get some rolled out fat 356 replicas for the rears Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 5:46 pm

Have a look here for some proper wheel filth!!

http://www.kinkymick.com/index.php

geek
Back to top Go down

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 10:07 pm

cheers scoops, some funky stuff there.

i'd love some fuchs, but they are damn expensive, think i will more than likely get ATS classics, as they look the tits.

Quick Q, will 205/65 R15's fit under the rear arches?
Back to top Go down
dubberatlast
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
dubberatlast

Male Number of posts : 15756
Registration date : 2006-09-01

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 10:32 pm

Yeah pretty shore they will bud Wink
Back to top Go down

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 9:07 am

dubberatlast wrote:
Yeah pretty shore they will bud Wink

Excellent, as i think i want to keep the rake, so keep the skinnies on the front and some nice wide, high pro's oon the rear.

Another question, as i've got drop spindles, should i buy shocks designed for a lowered car or a standard height car? and what would happen either way?
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 9:25 am

Don't dropped spindles move the wheel hub UP but everything else stays stock, hence you don't need the lowered shocks.....
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 9:34 am

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=446705
Back to top Go down

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 10:53 am

Mr Scoops wrote:
Don't dropped spindles move the wheel hub UP but everything else stays stock, hence you don't need the lowered shocks.....

i think so, but am not sure, thats way i asked, so cheers scoops.
Back to top Go down

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 11:52 am

Mr Scoops wrote:

OY! Scoops I have them on the Girlfriend!!! I think in the right 'look' of car they look the muts, bit not everyone's taste & not on too late a model.

James .... shame your car isn't running 'blade' style bumpers as I just taken a set of polished T bars off the vamp, although your quite welcome to try them to see if they'll fit yours buddy! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 12:00 pm

Babylon Split Rick wrote:
Mr Scoops wrote:

OY! Scoops I have them on the Girlfriend!!! I think in the right 'look' of car they look the muts, bit not everyone's taste & not on too late a model.

James .... shame your car isn't running 'blade' style bumpers as I just taken a set of polished T bars off the vamp, although your quite welcome to try them to see if they'll fit yours buddy! Smile

Sorry Dude, I didn't realise...... Embarassed
Back to top Go down

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 12:01 pm

cheers babylon split rick, but as mine has the europa bumpers, i think the smaller T-bars will look odd, plus i think my dad will be making me a set, so no need to buy any, woooh.

One question tho, how far do they come out and what sort of angle is the round bar at?

cheers
Back to top Go down

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 12:09 pm

James, pop round and borrow one if you want, that way you can use it for size & angles mate Smile
I'm at Trenleigh Drive, Worle & in all day today if you want to pop round Smile
My contact details are in the member's section bud Wink
Back to top Go down

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 7:13 pm

Well, my new exhaust system, J-tubes and scat santana pulley came today. So on getting home i heat wrapped the 4 to 1 header and got it all fitted.

My dad is making a pulley puller so i can get the new pulley on, and all tinware is in the process of being shot blasted and powder coated, along with a few other engine bits and bobs.

No pics yet, but will endevour to get some up tomorrow.

Also, thanks to vwbeetlebum for the dbs sticker, that arrived today and is now in the rear window, looks spot on too afro
Back to top Go down

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 6:52 am

Another small update, hopefully all the parts will be back this week and get re-fitted, so i can fire her up again.

Also won a set of brand new sloping wings of ebay, so need some sloping lights and she be starting to look good.

Pics to follow.
Back to top Go down

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySat May 03, 2008 8:24 pm

Well, today i re-fitted all the tinware and inlet manifold parts, dynamo and ignition components.

As well as heat wrapping the header and fitting that along with the single glass pack back box.

Turned the Key and hey-presto she fired into life, so i then came inside and got her insured, damn bug's are cool afro

will get some pics of her tomorrow in the light.
Back to top Go down
vwbeetlebum
DBS Top Sphincter
DBS Top Sphincter
vwbeetlebum

Male Number of posts : 6572
My Ride(s) : Your Mum

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress EmptySat May 03, 2008 8:46 pm

sounds like a busy and constructive day fella.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My bug\'s progress Empty
PostSubject: Re: My bug\'s progress   My bug\'s progress Empty

Back to top Go down

My bug\'s progress
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next