Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Welcome to DBS...........Weston's VeeDub Club

Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'

Go down 
+7
ARCANE
Road Rage
nomates
Mr Scoops
vietnam
griff
Meester Teem
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Meester Teem
Blitzen Regular
Blitzen Regular
Meester Teem

Male Number of posts : 452
My Ride(s) : Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'
Registration date : 2006-08-29

Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' Empty
PostSubject: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 6:38 pm

Boys and girls,

Haven't been on here for a while. Bumped into TangoVan today....smart decal on Tango's rear....so, I thought I'd post my progress on my non-air-cooled resto.

Basically, since I took delivery back in May, it's been slow going. I've spent the last few months undoing 16 big bolts that hold the suspension to the chassis. Took a while because I used penetrating oils instead of heat. I avoided heat as the axle bearings are in the same housing as the suspension. No pics either as visibly nothing has changed.

The wife wonders what's going when I spend hours and hours in the garage and nothing appears to change.

However, last weekend I had a breakthrough. After lots of work I was finally able to remove the two huge straps that hold the DC traction motor in the chassis. Which means the motor can finally be lifted up and out of the chassis and the hard work can finally begin.

Meester Teem.
Back to top Go down
griff
DBS Top Sphincter
DBS Top Sphincter
griff

Male Number of posts : 5280
My Ride(s) : the fourking T25 van
Registration date : 2007-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 8:05 pm

nice to see you mr T.

one question.

what the fuck are you going to do with it when it is restored.

will mrs teem allow it to be sited in the lounge to be admired by everyone that vists ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.c1der.co.uk/cider_with_roger.htm
vietnam
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
vietnam

Male Number of posts : 1671
My Ride(s) : 07 Golf, t25 devon
Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 8:10 pm

Tim, I have a wheel profile gauge from a plasser thuerer pw trolley in the garage, if it matches your wheel profile, you're welcome to it (assuming your wheelsets will need skimming)

what is the tread width and flange height/depth?

Good to hear progress...
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

Male Number of posts : 38010
My Ride(s) : 1991 Vanagon GL Westfalia 2.1: 2011 A3 S-Line
Registration date : 2006-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 8:13 pm

He's going to 'loan' it to a railway society (where he is Secretary or something)

I've seen it, I wouldn't want the fecker parked on my toe!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cttp.co.uk
nomates
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
nomates

Male Number of posts : 18609
My Ride(s) : 1967 fridolin and 1966 (award winning-and yea i am being gay) ghia and 1960 bubble car
Registration date : 2006-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 8:35 pm

you have to admire the kind of man .....that would even consider a driveway TRAIN resto
,I think i've just found my new idol since F Dibner sadly passed away ,..

p.s we are pic whores ,so post some no matter how boring you think they my be ....I've not even seen a pic of the train ,let alone how it fit in your garage ect ...

nice to hear from you again dude
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

Male Number of posts : 38010
My Ride(s) : 1991 Vanagon GL Westfalia 2.1: 2011 A3 S-Line
Registration date : 2006-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 8:40 pm

There's not many pics he can show us as he's actually writing a full on restoration book on it too and he needs to keep ones he's going to include in the book.
Fair do's to him....
Back to top Go down
http://www.cttp.co.uk
nomates
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
nomates

My Ride(s) : 1967 fridolin and 1966 (award winning-and yea i am being gay) ghia and 1960 bubble car

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 9:04 pm

course he can!!!......just take some 'fun' ones for us on a digital camera or phone
Back to top Go down
Road Rage
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
Road Rage

Male Number of posts : 4830
My Ride(s) : 1972 Bay; Shitroen C4
Registration date : 2008-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 9:12 am

how's the beard coming on?
Back to top Go down
Meester Teem
Blitzen Regular
Blitzen Regular
Meester Teem

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 6:21 pm

No beard, yet.
Back to top Go down
ARCANE
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
ARCANE

Male Number of posts : 4582
My Ride(s) : 411 Variant.
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 6:39 pm

vietnam wrote:

what is the flange height/depth?

Snigger snigger! Surprised Razz
Back to top Go down
nomates
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
nomates

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 8:29 pm

update .....or i'll dribble oil on your pavement ....lol
Back to top Go down
ARCANE
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
ARCANE

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 9:05 pm

I have to say there is a major lack of pics on such an interesting topic!!! Sad
Back to top Go down
Meester Teem
Blitzen Regular
Blitzen Regular
Meester Teem

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 7:39 pm

Tomorrow is the big day in my 4WBE's resto history.

Tomorrow morning I'm removing the huge DC traction motor from the chassis. The motor is massive. Can't imagine how much it weighs. I've borrowed a hydraulic engine hoist to do the lifting. The motor will then be sent away for assessment and refurbishment. The motor will have to be 'top notch' for future passenger service....shhh - I can hear you sniggering from here.

As soon as the motor's out I can drop the wheel sets, as the chassis will weigh less without the motor. Then I can finally start on restoring the 0.5 inch thich steel plate chassis.

I'll get some pictures of the motor lift for the sphincters image mafia.
Back to top Go down
nomates
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
nomates

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 8:41 pm

cheers dude ....and very nice to hear from you mate .....you ROCK
Back to top Go down
ARCANE
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
ARCANE

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 9:08 pm

Look forward to seeing them dude! bounce love this sort of stuff! As Nomates said good old Fred, he rocked, was watching him the other night driving a mental 3 wheeled carrage! It was a fantastic Heath Robinson looking creation! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
vietnam
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
vietnam

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Do it dude...there's a company in Avonmouth that assesses and rewinds motors - surely meggering the coils will do though to check it? I think the HST and class 08 traction motors (Brush and GEC types) have to be less than one meg ohm for service when we do post splash over repairs/clean up work...out of interest, what make/size is the tm and does it use a tm blower? ( I ask because our stuff has them to remove deionisd air form the casing around the motor, which is potentially conductive but may not be an issue on your loco)

Pics without fail! I'm expecting you to buy one of DB Shenker's 08's next...or 47/56/58's...
Back to top Go down
nomates
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
nomates

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 9:14 pm

that is exactly what i was about to post Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Big_Al
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
Big_Al

Male Number of posts : 3616
My Ride(s) : 1970 looker, 2009 T5 'The Night Fury!', 2006 Challenger 3 tank (wife's)!
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 10:11 pm

vietnam wrote:
Do it dude...there's a company in Avonmouth that assesses and rewinds motors - surely meggering the coils will do though to check it? I think the HST and class 08 traction motors (Brush and GEC types) have to be less than one meg ohm for service when we do post splash over repairs/clean up work...out of interest, what make/size is the tm and does it use a tm blower? ( I ask because our stuff has them to remove deionisd air form the casing around the motor, which is potentially conductive but may not be an issue on your loco)

Pics without fail! I'm expecting you to buy one of DB Shenker's 08's next...or 47/56/58's...

http://translate.google.com/#

Please?
Back to top Go down
Meester Teem
Blitzen Regular
Blitzen Regular
Meester Teem

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 5:19 pm

Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' 191_9145

The motor's finally out. For saying it's been rained on for nine years it's condition isn't too bad. I was in the garage at 615am and by 10 it was out. Bacon butties all round.

Next job: dropping the wheel sets (complete with hornblocks and transmission).
Back to top Go down
Meester Teem
Blitzen Regular
Blitzen Regular
Meester Teem

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 5:44 pm

The motor is a sealed unit, as is the Clayton 'Camtactor' controller. I reckon they're that way for intrinsic safety down the mines. The sealing has saved my motor from the elements. However, the side effect is that condensation could not escape and that's done the damage.

A company up in Newcastle are the first to say they're interested in the refurbishment job. Sending them a load of motor pics (internal and external) for a very rough quote.

The coolest thing so far is that the Festiniog Railway and Talyllyn Railway have both submitted great quotes for re-profiling my worn wheels.

Talking of Mr Dibnah....years ago I was up in Bolton, looking at an old car, I popped around to see Fred. I looked over his garden fence and there he was riveting the foundation ring on a traction engine boiler. I shouted, "Oi, Fred!"
He responded and invited me down. The next two hours were bliss. I had a tour of his fantastic workshops and various projects. We chatted at length about glorious steam and the state of our nation. The workshops were like Aladdins' Cave, in a steam way. Great man.
Back to top Go down
vietnam
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
vietnam

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 11:32 pm

You work quicker than us - fancy a change in career? I had forgotten that it was a mine loco - I guess it's not brushed then?

Nothing like healthy competition...

Big Al - big motors can often be insulation resistance tested to prove the insulation and winding integrity. This is measured in Ohms.

Where high current is involved the electrical arc can ionise the oxygen in the air making it conduct electricity, so in many applications a fan is fitted to blow fresh air into the motor.

Back to top Go down
Meester Teem
Blitzen Regular
Blitzen Regular
Meester Teem

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 8:37 pm

What's the name of the company in Avonmouth?

I'd best qet as many quotes as I can. Then, at least I can fight my case before 'the wife' rips my nads off.

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
tango_van
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
tango_van

Male Number of posts : 2846
My Ride(s) : 1972 Westy Camper Van, 09 Newbie 1.9tdi, Audi A4 B7 S-line
Registration date : 2006-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Saw this today!!
Tim, you certainly have some 'balls' taking that resto on!!!!!

That's some serious amount of heavy engineering you got sat in the middle of the garage.

Good luck buddy!!
Back to top Go down
tango_van
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
tango_van

Male Number of posts : 2846
My Ride(s) : 1972 Westy Camper Van, 09 Newbie 1.9tdi, Audi A4 B7 S-line
Registration date : 2006-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 10:53 pm

Is this where it's going to be running when restored??

http://www.steeplegrange.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
Bmtt4
Club GIMP
Club GIMP

Male Number of posts : 1123
My Ride(s) : MkV Golf GT Tdi 140 bhp, Mini Clubman 1380 Racer (No Quite!)
Registration date : 2009-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 8:09 pm

i dont know the name of the company in avon mouth but i get all my coils pumps and motors rewound by a company called Eriks, they have a place in proirswood industrial estate in taunton and they send the coils to be rewound in exeter. they also do a quick turnaround service which we have got a pump rewound in 2 days before.

www.eriks.co.uk

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'   Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET' Empty

Back to top Go down

Electric Mining Locomotive 'SOMERSET'
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next