Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Welcome to DBS...........Weston's VeeDub Club

My 'bit on the side'

Go down 
+12
griff
Cleverchap
HRD
vwbeetlebum
vietnam
WizBizMartin
joker 67
clockwork
Mr Scoops
Gungemyster
tango_van
SimonABT
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SimonABT
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
SimonABT

Male Number of posts : 1343
My Ride(s) : Something with a V6 under the hood!
Registration date : 2006-10-08

My 'bit on the side' Empty
PostSubject: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 1:05 pm

Well after selling the Caddy van to fund a new track car, the plan was simple. Get some money in my pocket, dont rush into buying anything and wait till ive got my wedding / honeymoon out the way before seriously looking.
...Well with my wedding one week away i got an offer i couldnt refuse from one of my best mates.

He has had a Silver 1994 VW Corrado VR6 sat in his workshop for months now with the intention of turning it into a track toy. My mate works for Grant Motorsport (a well known tuner in the VW motorsport world) so he has all the right contacts for 'proper' parts. He had already purchased a full FIA approved ex-grant motorsport Cup car roll cage, race seats and harnesses but never got round to fitting it all. The car was fully stripped of everything including engine and my mate didnt have the time to finish it off due to other work commitments, so a deal was done for the lot.
As luck would have it, another mate had previously bought a 2003 VW Golf 2.8 24v (V6 4motion) in order to strip everything he needed to fit the engine and runnig gear into a Seat Ibiza. He too had no time to complete the mammoth task so bought the lot from him for an absolute steal! ...See where this is going??

So thats as far as ive got at the moment, i dont dare do anything to the car just yet until the wedding and honeymoon is out of the way as i dont think my wife-to-be will be too impressed! pale

So heres a few pics of the huge project ahead....

My 'bit on the side' 2011-09-09201930
My 'bit on the side' 2011-09-09202001
My 'bit on the side' 2011-09-08210659
Back to top Go down
tango_van
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
tango_van

Male Number of posts : 2846
My Ride(s) : 1972 Westy Camper Van, 09 Newbie 1.9tdi, Audi A4 B7 S-line
Registration date : 2006-10-11

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 3:17 pm

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I'm looking forward to this build !

Back to top Go down
Gungemyster
a.k.a. Clunge, The Club Deviant
a.k.a. Clunge, The Club Deviant
Gungemyster

Male Number of posts : 12659
My Ride(s) : 1975 south african imported beetle two tone grey, 1997 Red T4 shag palace
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 5:36 pm

He'll yes
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

Male Number of posts : 38010
My Ride(s) : 1991 Vanagon GL Westfalia 2.1: 2011 A3 S-Line
Registration date : 2006-08-19

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 5:49 pm

He'll yes what??

This looks like its going to be a great one to watch!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cttp.co.uk
clockwork
DBS Top Sphincter
DBS Top Sphincter
clockwork

Male Number of posts : 7198
My Ride(s) : Rollercoaster
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Ya need to sort the rims out! Looks like a bag of shit lol!

Good luck wit this one Si, this will be a monster, looking forward to watching this build!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SimonABT
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
SimonABT

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Cheers guys. I am really looking foward to getting stuck in. Luckily the misses is off into bristol to study all day tommorow so im gonna sneak down the unit and start cleaning it to see the overall condition of the car as its fecking filthy!!
The hardest part is knowing where to cut the cage in order to get it into the corrado with as little work as possible as its such a complex cage! Shocked I'll grab some pics of it in the morning and post them up. I want to build the shell to comply with MSA regulations, so if i ever did want to compete or sell the shell on its upto the correct spec needed to race. So a lot of reading of the little blue book is needed before i set to it.
Back to top Go down
tango_van
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
tango_van

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 9:58 pm

So you can't just cut the roof off and 'drop' the cage in then lol!
Back to top Go down
joker 67
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
joker 67

Male Number of posts : 3498
My Ride(s) : 2018 Skoda Karoq edition and something else
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 10:07 pm

SimonABT wrote:
Cheers guys. I am really looking foward to getting stuck in. Luckily the misses is off into bristol to study all day tommorow so im gonna sneak down the unit and start cleaning it to see the overall condition of the car as its fecking filthy!!
The hardest part is knowing where to cut the cage in order to get it into the corrado with as little work as possible as its such a complex cage! Shocked I'll grab some pics of it in the morning and post them up. I want to build the shell to comply with MSA regulations, so if i ever did want to compete or sell the shell on its upto the correct spec needed to race. So a lot of reading of the little blue book is needed before i set to it.

to fit the cage correctly you will need to cut the roof panel out, unless the cage is built up from individual tubes for each section.

delat with a few over the years on rally carsand they used to cut th roof skin out then put the cage in.
Back to top Go down
tango_van
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
tango_van

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 10:10 pm

No way! And I thought that I was only joking scratch Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
SimonABT
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
SimonABT

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Yeah we have considered it. But thats last resort really. Think we may get away with cutting it infront of the main loop. And fit it in 2 sections, then remove the rear quarter windows to gain access to reweld the cage back together.
Back to top Go down
joker 67
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
joker 67

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 7:27 pm

msa i dont think allow the cage to be re-welded unless its at a natural joint.( check rule book)

cotsweld would be good to chat to in cheltenham.

you dont want to buy any panels for any thing built by karmann, last front wing was 360-00 for a corrado, from a dealer
Back to top Go down
WizBizMartin
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
WizBizMartin

Male Number of posts : 2531
My Ride(s) : 85 Mexican Beetle, 20v T Beetle, Honda Xr125
Registration date : 2008-11-27

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 10:07 pm

cant wait to see this project unroll !
Back to top Go down
SimonABT
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
SimonABT

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 1:58 pm

joker 67 wrote:
msa i dont think allow the cage to be re-welded unless its at a natural joint.( check rule book)

you dont want to buy any panels for any thing built by karmann, last front wing was 360-00 for a corrado, from a dealer

Yeah i am going to do a lot of reading before cutting the cage. Even though i wont be competing in the car it would be really nice to get it comply with the MSA regulations. Cool
What are Karmann panels?
Back to top Go down
SimonABT
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
SimonABT

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 2:01 pm

My parts pile is starting to get bigger, now have the seats (which are filthy but perfect condition), new Harnesses which i need to check if they are MOT passable as they are the hook over latch style ones, not button release?, loads of spare panels, etc, and almost everything to do the engine conversion.

My 'bit on the side' 2011-09-11165016

I will get some pics of the cage on Wednesday when i can sneak down the unit again! Laughing
Back to top Go down
joker 67
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
joker 67

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 3:24 pm

SimonABT wrote:
joker 67 wrote:

Yeah i am going to do a lot of reading before cutting the cage. Even though i wont be competing in the car it would be really nice to get it comply with the MSA regulations. Cool
What are Karmann panels?

the shell/car was made by karmann for vw, so panels are really expensive.
Back to top Go down
SimonABT
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
SimonABT

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 7:24 am

Ah cool, thats handy to know.
Well i trailered the shell back to my garage last night, looks a lot worse condition than i 1st thought. Laughing

So the 1st job is give it a wash and a hoover inside and out to see exactly what is what.
Back to top Go down
vietnam
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
vietnam

Male Number of posts : 1671
My Ride(s) : 07 Golf, t25 devon
Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 4:40 pm

Si - have you still got the seats?

I'm lead to believe that they match the golf mounts but sit mower due to the design or am I confusing types?

Nice project btw!
Back to top Go down
SimonABT
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
SimonABT

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 5:23 pm

vietnam wrote:
Si - have you still got the seats?

I'm lead to believe that they match the golf mounts but sit mower due to the design or am I confusing types?

Nice project btw!

You mean the original corrado seats? if so then no i havent.

And yes you are right, corrado seats have height adjustment.
Back to top Go down
vietnam
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
vietnam

Male Number of posts : 1671
My Ride(s) : 07 Golf, t25 devon
Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 8:38 pm

BUGGER! My drivers set has the rise/lower handle which sort of works, I was lead to believe the 'rado seats were lower from the off... never mind, I'll get back on the hunt, swallowtail seats may be the way foward.
Back to top Go down
SimonABT
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
SimonABT

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 11:28 am

Well i got back from my honeymoon in Italy yesterday. Was up nice and early today so went straight down the garage to crack on... Got the front wings fitted although they need alligning a bit better. Also wirebrushed the crossmember and radiator support and gave it a lick of Silver Hammerite so its a bit more pleasant to look at. Laughing

Unfortunately ive had to call it a day for today as im going to a BBQ while the weather is nice for once. But if im not hungover in the morning i will try and do a bit more on the car.
Back to top Go down
SimonABT
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
SimonABT

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Another boring picture-less update. Embarassed

Bought a brand new Golf VR6 Clutch Kit, and a 2nd hand Flywheel to replace the 4motions dual mass flywheel. This way i can bolt up a standard VR6 O2a gearbox to the 4motion engine. I was going to buy an uprated clutch but after reading on several places that the standard VR clutch can cope with 300 horsepower i shouldnt have a problem.
I also took a trip to VW and ordered some genuine Flywheel bolts, Clutch kit bolts, and gearbox bolts as it would seem silly using 2nd hand bolts when going this far.

I needed some wheels in order to get the car rolling, so a quick trip to my mates VW breakers - Volksmania (in Avonmouth) and a few returned favours later i had a set of Golf VR6 Highline alloys and crap tyres, and a set of shotblasted and painted Corrado VR hubs.
I dug out a set of mid-range Adjustable FK Coilovers (for temp use), with new top mounts, bolted these on and fitted the hubs and wheels.
So the car is now moveable. Very Happy

Next job is to find a suitable set of brakes. I want to stick with 15" wheels due to the price of track tyres so im trying to work out whats the best brake and calpier size to go for. Thinking maybe stick with orginal Corrado 288mm discs (but get some uprated ones) and some Audi S2/V6 2pot calipers. But im skint now till end of the month Sad
Back to top Go down
SimonABT
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
SimonABT

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 6:22 pm

Decided to crack on with the 24 valve engine today, stripped it of all the unwanted stuff, like SAI (secondary air injection system), the Aircon pump and plumbing, a few random brackets, and the 4 motion engine mounts. Then removed the main Aux belt as i will need to order a shorter non aircon model one, and then fitted the rear VR6 engine mount. All was going well until i decided to let the engine up in the air using my engine crane and stupidly a cheap rachet strap.... you can prob guess what happened.... rachet strap snapped, and the engine fell to the floor, Aluminium Sump took the main impact and cracked. Sad Hopefully i will be able to weld it up, but until i remove the sump i wont know. Bummer!
Back to top Go down
Mr Scoops
DBS Top Tater
DBS Top Tater
Mr Scoops

Male Number of posts : 38010
My Ride(s) : 1991 Vanagon GL Westfalia 2.1: 2011 A3 S-Line
Registration date : 2006-08-19

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 7:54 pm

Oh Bugger! Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.cttp.co.uk
clockwork
DBS Top Sphincter
DBS Top Sphincter
clockwork

Male Number of posts : 7198
My Ride(s) : Rollercoaster
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 6:10 am

gutted for ya No
Back to top Go down
SimonABT
DBS Old Timer
DBS Old Timer
SimonABT

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 7:29 pm

Finally had a productive day...
Fitted new lower ball joints and nuts, fitted the outer CV's in so the wheels dont fall off when i move the car round, and replaced the track rod ends.
Then set my attention to the engine bay....
My mate who had the car before me decided it would be a good idea to 'smooth' the engine bay, unfortunately it didnt go too well. So i had to cut out most of his work and reweld new sections in and weld over some of the holes that were not needed.

The outcome is a subtle 'smooth', the chassis legs have now been boxed in with flat tops, a load of un-used holes have been welded up, and unwanted brackets cut off. A quick underseal and coat of primer and it stands like this -

My 'bit on the side' 2011-10-29151602

Not amazing, but a lot better than it was.

Tommorow im planning on giving it a top coat of the final colour and try and get the engine sat in the bay on its mounts. (without touching the wet top coat) Rolling Eyes

Oh and heres a quick pic of the cage before i start cutting it about.

My 'bit on the side' 2011-10-29095210
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My 'bit on the side'   My 'bit on the side' Empty

Back to top Go down

My 'bit on the side'
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next